Saturday, February 9, 2008

Crankin' them Out.........

One of the joys of winter is it is a time that there's a little extra time to tie some flies, play with some new designs, but more than that just slow down a little and enjoy it.

Often customers ask what do you do in the off season? Really, we don't have one. We are fortunate to live somewhere we can fish year round, so I continue guiding during the winter months. Also, I do lots of teaching ...particularly winter fly tying. And lastly, I tie for shops and also custom orders for my customers, so often I am busy with that no matter what the weather outside holds. That is another facet of the sport that makes it so fun. I often think as I am tying a fly, if this fly were drifted over that favorite gravel bar on the South Holston and allowed to sit almost still I can see that 18" wild brown rise maddeningly slow and sip it right in.............

If you are a fly tyer you know what I mean. Half the time we are tying we are conjuring up images in mind of that perfect cast, perfect drift, right over that spot we've been waiting to throw our latest creation. Getting the fish to rise to it causes a burst of adrenaline inside, something that really goes even further to over the edge if he actually eats it. And to a fly tyer, there's no feeling like, definite confirmation from the one whose opinion....well when you get down to it--- the only opinion that--- really matters.

Much of my winter time when I am not on the water is consumed by tying custom orders. Just today working on a custom order for the South Holston, about 5 dozen bugs that hopefully will give the person I am tying them for as much joy as I had in tying and fishing them myself. And everyone of those flies I am thinking where and how I'd fish them.....and often customers ask just that. I usually tell them how I'd fish them, knowing if they are successful they will be back for more. And I can't help but feel like I have caught fish too when they do well. And lastly, customers are one of the greatest sources of feedback that there is. Sometimes, I will go through several changes to a fly pattern before it becomes one of the "standard" offerings I tie. And many times, a customer helped tweak the fly through suggestions.

Oh well, ......enough rambling for now. I'd better get back to tying, .........there are many dozens left to finish before the day is through. Good tying.......!

No comments: