Saturday, February 16, 2008

Great Tying Weather....

Nothing like a fresh fallen snow to inspire the day's fly tying orders. Like a few days ago, when the snow was a total surprise, and certainly not in the forecast. Even to our fishing buddy/meteorologist Austin Caviness. It was fine by me as I had a number of custom fly orders to fill.

Tying with a view like this is special indeed, and even more so with a cup of hot hazelnut coffee to my right and the crackle of a distant fire about. If I were to pick the best fly tying day it would be a lot like this, bluebird sky and all.

If its cloudy though, forget tying a fly. I will be scrambling for my nymph and big ugly box (streamers and all that other stuff I am embarrassed to show my dry fly purist fishing buddies). There are few things like snow and a cloudy sky that are better at bringing big fish out and making them eat. Some of the largest trout I have caught have been under those conditions. I guess its the low light that gives a large fish confidence that it cannot be seen. And some of the best early season hatches, particularly blue winged Olives, hatch in the very dreariest of conditions- - -and often on a river or stretch of water where no one esle is fishing. In any case, snow and cloudy conditions are one of the best times to catch a nice fish. The next time it happens, jump on it and take advantage of it.

No comments: